"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness"
-John Muir



Friday, August 22, 2014

Mocha Energy Smoothie


I'm trying, not entirely successfully, to wean myself off of afternoon coffee.  It was working for about three days until I broke down late yesterday afternoon and had a cappuccino.  "It'll be fine," I told myself, "just a minor setback... I'll start again tomorrow," I said.

Yeah, not so much. 

Flash forward to 2 am, when I'm laying exhausted but mysteriously wide awake on the couch watching Clueless on Amazon Prime.  I enjoyed the movie-- (Ah, nostalgia of youth!  And how cute are Alicia and Paul?!)-- and then Pretty In Pink after that (gotta love Molly Ringwald!).  What I did not enjoy was the 4 am bedtime as of 7:30 this morning.

In comes this smoothie.  It made up half of my hearty breakfast (paired with a Van's gluten free waffle topped with almond butter) and gave me the willpower to stay out of bed after less than four hours of sleep.

I'm just lucky my kids are at the age where they can entertain themselves for awhile while Mama sleeps in a bit.  And that it's still (but just barely) summer.  I have exactly 5 days left of summer to get this caffeine-sleep imbalance back to a balance, before I have to start getting up early and getting everyone ready for the 7:30 start time at school.  It's going to be brutal.  I'm going to need more of these smoothies...


This is one intense beverage-- chocolatey, filling, and it has a caffeine kick besides (although I've made a coffee-free version of this for my kids).  It's also perfect for that 2 pm, falling-asleep-at-your-desk slump (if you work outside the house, you could try bringing it in a thermos).  Just don't drink it too late in the day or you may end up immersed in a late night 80s/90s teen rom com marathon...

(Control-click or right click on recipe to print.)

No comments:

Post a Comment